The renewal of most domains, including .it and .com domains, follows the same rules:
- if not renewed the domain becomes unreachable the following day and will enter the “grace period”. Within this period the domain can be renewed and reactivated without any penalty, at the normal price; the "grace period" generally lasts 30 days, but there are exceptions, such as for .it domains where the grace period lasts 14 days or in which the domain does not provide a grace period and is deactivated a few days before the expiration (read under).
- If the domain is not renewed within the grace period, the domain generally goes into what is called “redemption period“.
In this phase, which normally lasts another 30 days, the domain is renewable but the registrar will ask for a penalty for renewal.
- Once the "redemption period" is over, the domain will enter the "pending delete“: it will remain suspended for another 6 days within which it will not be renewable and after which it will be released and made available again to be registered by anyone.
It is important to note that non-renewed domains can be registered immediately after release by what are called "domain farms", i.e. companies that register domains only to resell them at higher prices, especially when the domains contain potentially popular keywords ( like pizzaroma.com or social-italia.it). It is therefore important to renew the domains as soon as possible if you do not want to risk losing them or having to pay large sums to get them back.
There are some domains that follow different rules from those just described.
The following ccTLDs have limitations on when you can renew a domain:
- the domain is deactivated before expiry within the times described below;
- there is no "grace period";
- after the expiration the domain goes directly into the "redemption period".
- All domains .AC.NZ, .CH, .CO.NZ, .COM.PK, .DE,.EU, .GA, .GEEK.NZ, .GEN.NZ, .LI, .MAORI.NZ, .NET.NZ, .NET.PK, .NL, .ORG.NZ, .ORG.PK, .PK, .ею, .евmust be renewed2 daysbefore the expiry date. There is no grace period for deletion.
- All domains.AFRICA.COM, .AT, .LT, .RO, .RU, .SI, .TKmust be renewed4 daysbefore the expiry date. There is no grace period for deletion.
- All domains.AI, .AU, .BIZ.PL, .CM, .CO.CM, .CO.ZA, .COM.AU, .COM.CM, .COM.PL, .CX, .CZ, .EDU.PL, .FI, .INFO.PL, .LU, .LV, .NET.CM, .NET.PL, .ORG.PL, .PL, .SK, .TMmust be renewedThree daysbefore the expiry date. There is no grace period for deletion.
- All domains.ESmust be renewed8 daysbefore the expiry date. There is no grace period for deletion.
- All domains.ETHmust be renewed1 daybefore the expiry date. There is no grace period for deletion.
- All domains.GRmust be renewed10 daysbefore the expiry date. There is no grace period for deletion.
- All domains.JPmust be renewed17 daysbefore the expiry date. There is no grace period for deletion.
For example, a .es domain that expires on January 9th is deactivated on January 1st if not renewed and immediately passes to the "redemption period" status without going through the "grace period" for which a penalty will be requested for reactivation.
Unfortunately we have no power over this type of regulation which seems designed to make further gains from any carelessness of the domain owners. In fact, we would like to remind you that the rates we apply to the registration, renewal and transfer of domains are more or less the same as those that Easy Green Hosting has to pay as a registrar (we have no earnings).
You can find the references of the relevant registers of the domains mentioned here at this address: https://my.easygreenhosting.com/index.php?rp=%2Fknowledgebase%2F20%2FADDITIONAL-REGISTRY-REQUIREMENTS.html
For any other questions we invite you to contact us.
Thanks for reading.